A Recipe 20 Years in the Making
I have been waiting exactly 20 years to share this Chocolate Carrot Cake with you. Back in the day when I was a university student (and new mom) I had little time (or money!) for celebration or going out on the town. There was a quaint little restaurant nearby that was a popular gathering spot for many students and faculty. It was there that I first had a taste of this ultimate Chocolate Carrot Cake. This cake became a constant fixture throughout my years as a university student, showing up through many little triumphant celebrations and even at some tragic failures.
After convocation I moved away to Calgary with my little family. I never quite forgot about the role this Chocolate Carrot Cake had played in my life. Every time we travelled through Saskatchewan to visit my family, I would insist on stopping into the restaurant to grab a piece for take away and every time I would ask politely for the recipe.
Each time I asked, I was denied the recipe but I never gave up. Over the years, the kids grew up and they also began to look forward to our Saskatchewan ‘cake stop’. My daughter, in particular, knew how much this tradition meant to me. For my 40th birthday, she emailed the restaurant, told them how much the Chocolate Carrot Cake meant to me, and mentioned that she wanted to bake it for me for my birthday. They sent it to her right away.
Twenty years is a long time to wait for a recipe.
Bake a Cake with Dish ‘n’ the Kitchen:
Chocolate Carrot Cake
Chocolate Carrot Cake
I waited 20 years to share this recipe...
- 4 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 cup unsalted butter; softened
- 1 tub spreadable cream cheese; room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Grease and lightly flour a 10 inch (16 cup) tube pan*. Pre-heat oven to 325 F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the carrots, oil, eggs, and apple sauce together.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then stir until they are combined.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in the stand mixer bowl. Mix well.
- Bake at 325 F for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Cream butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add cream cheese and combine well.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift cocoa and icing sugar into the bowl and combine well.