Spiced Pear and Yogurt Bread is an easy and tasty quick bread featuring over ripe pears, yoghurt, and warm baking spices.
Have you noticed that your family tends to ‘cycle’ their preferred fruit intake, meaning they’ll eat all the bananas (apples, pears, etc.) that you buy, then suddenly move on to another favourite? Mine certainly does! The uneaten fruits sit in degrading in the bowl for days, sometimes weeks until I find some way to use them up. I’m not complaining because if there were never any ‘distressed’ fruits, I wouldn’t be able to bake any apple sauce, apple butters, muffins, or fruity quick breads.
The latest fruit to be cast aside, doomed to all fruit bowl eternity, are pears. Fall is the perfect time to pick up a box of pears in the Okanagan and that is exactly what we did. I thought the three of us polished them off quite efficiently so I bought another round at the grocery store.
Truth be told, these pears were still from the Okanagan and probably from very close to where we bought ours…but either the boys were tired of pears or they weren’t as treasured as the first box that we bought directly from the orchard.
I had four pears in various states of disarray to cook with and I was up for the challenge! I grated them all up and decided to make a double batch of this Spiced Pear and Yogurt Bread.
If you make this Pear and Spice Bread recipe, I’d love to hear about it in the comments section or in the ratings. Be sure to follow me on Facebook and Pinterest for my latest recipes. Also, if you do make this recipe please share your photos and tag me on Instagram. I hope you like this recipe!
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 mushy pears; grated
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt. Stir until well combined and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, add grated pears, brown sugar, Greek yogurt, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until top is set and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow bread to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing and setting on a wire rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 5g
Nutritional calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator.