After watching the destruction of the Calgary floods for a great portion of the morning I just had to clear my head and digest what was going on in the city around me. I needed to chill for a bit and get my mind off of all the destruction. What better way to deal with destruction than to create? Baking a cake is a daunting task for some but for me it is absolute therapy. I enjoyed making cake more than any other cake I have ever made. I was just in the right ‘mood’ for baking and this recipe features one of my most favourite flavour combinations, apples and cinnamon.
It was also great to be able to share this cake with neighbours. When spirits are low a little slice of cake and friendship goes a long way.
I had some excess sliced apples, so I cooked them a bit with some brown sugar and cinnamon. A little on the side accompanied by some whipped cream was heaven.
- 4 apples
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 6 oz (180g) butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven at 350ºF (180ºC). Peel and slice the apples. Toss them with 1 tbsp cinnamon and 4 tbsp sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, cream the softened butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Fold the sifted flour alternately with milk.
- Grease a spring-form pan. Pour half the batter in then spread the apples. Pour the remaining batter.
- Combine the flaked almonds with the cinnamon and sprinkle over the cake.Bake for one hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Apple Cinnamon Cake courtesy of Chicho’s Kitchen
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 274mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 4gSugar: 46gProtein: 7g
Nutritional calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator.