An Easy Peasy Classic Beef Comfort dish with a blueberry and balsamic flavour spin. Cook these Braised Short Ribs low and slow until they reach fall-off-the-bone deliciousness.
Blueberries Are So Hot Right Now
So far this season I have bought 4 whole cases of British Columbia grown blueberries. I haven’t had much of a chance to do anything with them as they get eaten within a couple days of purchasing. Previously it was only my husband and I that like blueberries but now that my daughter has gotten over her perceived distaste for them, I have a difficult time keeping them in the house.
The Possibilities Are Endless
It’s really an unfortunate situation because I have so many plans for them! I would like to make a Blueberry Tart or maybe a Blueberry Gin Fizz, like One Tough Cookie did (isn’t that the best Blog name ever?).
Why not just make a whole meal out of blueberries? Serve the Blueberry Gin Fizz with this Grape and Blueberry Salsa.
Then enjoy my Blueberry Balsamic Braised Beef Short Ribs with a Blueberry Mango Quinoa Salad from This Fox Kitchen. Finish off your blueberry themed dinner with a slice of my Blueberry Lattice Pie with Lemon Zest and Spruce Buds. It may sound odd, but blueberry and spruce is a wonderful combination, not to be missed!
A summer’s dinner of blueberry perfection. What would you do with a case of blueberries?
Blueberry Balsamic Braised Short Ribs
Blueberry Balsamic Braised Beef Short Ribs
- 8 beef short ribs
- 2 red onions; sliced
- 4 garlic cloves; chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 tsp coffee bitters (optional)
- 2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups red wine (I used Shiraz)
- 1 cup beef stock 2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Brown in a heavy braising pan, then remove.
- Add onions and sauté until soft.
- Deglaze with wine until alcohol has cooked off.
- Add rest of the ingredients to pan. Cover and bake in 350 F oven for 3 hours.
- Serve with potato mash or polenta.