An easy recipe for crisp Chocolate Almond Biscotti. The super rich chocolate flavour is accented with almond extract and chopped almonds. Dunk them in your coffee, tea, or milk for a treat.
Today, I’m thinking about all the amazing Italian recipes on the blog. You can use the search bar and just type ‘Italian’ or go right to this classic Pappardelle Bolognese. PS, it’s delicious but not as tasty as this Pear Ricotta Cake.
Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Here’s another recipe of mine that I have made over and over again throughout the years. It’s a great recipe for when you have four extra egg whites kicking around after making custard.
This low fat biscotti is high on flavour from the cocoa powder, almond extract, and chopped almonds. It is very sturdy, making it a great option for cookie exchanges and gifts to friends and family.
How to Eat Biscotti
I like to eat them by dunking them into a latte or espresso but the kids like them with plain old milk. You could also dip them into tea or wine. The thought of dipping them into wine kind of grosses me out but apparently some people like it.
How to Make Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Preheat oven to 350 F. Place slivered almonds on a parchment lined baking sheet and toast until golden. Let them cool. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, cooled almonds, and chocolate chips.
Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, break up the egg whites and gradually add sugar while whisking continuously.
When the egg whites and sugar are thoroughly combined, whisk in almond or vanilla essence. Next, add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to stir the batter a couple of times, then turn out onto a clean surface and mix by hand.
The dough should end up pretty dry but will still stick together. Divide dough into two equal portions and shape into two similar rectangles on a piece of parchment. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Cut each rectangle into slices width wise and place the slices cut side down back onto the baking sheet.
Bake one side for another 10-12 minutes and then flip over to the other side and bake for another 10-12 minutes.
The biscotti will keep in an airtight container for a long time, up to a few weeks.
If you make this Chocolate Almond Biscotti recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Be sure to follow me on Facebook and Pinterest for my latest recipes. Also, if you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram, I’d love to see what you guys are making! Thank you so much for reading my blog.
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 Tablespoon espresso powder or ground espresso
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup toasted almonds (slivers or slices)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond essence
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Place almonds on cookie sheet (I always use a sheet of parchment paper) and toast until golden.
- Combine dry ingredients and cooled almonds, then chocolate chips in a medium bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl break up the egg whites and gradually add sugar while whisking continuously.
- When done, whisk in almond or vanilla essence.
- Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Using a spoon, stir a couple of times then turn out onto a surface to mix by hand.
- The dough should end up pretty dry but still stick together.
- Divide dough into two equal portions and shape into two similar rectangles on a piece of parchment. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut into slices width wise and place the slices cut side down back onto the baking sheet.
- Bake one side for another 10-12 minutes and then flip over to the other side and bake for another 10-12 minutes.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 167Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
Nutritional calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator.