It’s Monday and in about 45 minutes I’ll be at the Family Centre at the YMCA for my volunteer shift. I like the regularity of Monday evenings…I know what time I’ll be there every week and sometimes it’s comforting to have a regular schedule. What isn’t so cool about this regular activity is that I always leave dinner until the last minute, then get home at 7:20 starving and hangry.
Hangry: that snarky bit of angry you get when you haven’t had sustenance in a long time and it doesn’t look like food will appear any time soon. Everyone and everything standing in your way of food is an object of your wrath…from the pedestrian dawdling along & checking his phone while he’s jaywalking to the woman who pulls out a huge stack of Co-op coupons that have to be entered MANUALLY by the cashier. Usually I just give up and start eating whatever it is I am waiting to pay for.
I’m pleased to say that there will be no ‘hangry time’ tonight because I have plans for a quick and easy pasta dinner that everyone in the family can eat. It goes on the table in about 30 minutes if you’re quick…
Quick and Easy Veggie Chickpea and Harissa Pasta
- 400 grams Bowtie Pasta
- olive oil
- half a large onion; diced
- 3 garlic cloves; minced
- 300 grams grape tomatoes; halved
- 4 large stalks black kale; washed and dried
- 1/2 can chickpeas; drained
- 2 tbsp harissa
- Salt and Pepper
- Prepare pasta as directed on package with plenty of salted boiling water.
- Drain, while reserving a 1/4 cup liquid.
- Add olive oil and diced onion to a large pan and sauté until translucent, then add garlic and sauté for a bit more.
- Add halved grape tomatoes and cook until they become soft.
- Remove the centre stalk from the kale, cut into slivers, and add to the pan.
- Add the drained pasta, chickpeas, reserved liquid, and harissa.
- Cover for a bit to let the kale cook, maybe 5 minutes.
- Season to taste and finish with a high quality olive oil (optional).