This Simply Delicious Chicken Burrito Bowl is made with lean chicken tenders and packed with tasty vegetables. Prep it for lunches or enjoy a quick, healthy dinner exploding with flavour!
This post first appeared over at Noshing With The Nolands where I am a contributor. It’s my first foray into the meal prep realm and I’m really pleased with the flavour and versatility of this dish.
Want to make eating healthy lunches at work a priority or just need a quick and healthy dinner? This Chicken Burrito Bowl is for you. It’s so flavorful and satisfying, even picky kids will love it. Follow the recipe as is, or shake things up a bit by substituting your favorite ingredients. Switch up your daily lunch routine by enjoying this little Mexican fiesta in a bowl. No siesta required!
All of my favourite Mexican ingredients are packed into these delicious (and crazy easy!) burrito bowls. The whole family appreciated having pre-prepped lunches for a few days that week.
I love to whip up a batch of my homemade Taco Seasoning and use it whenever the mood strikes. It’s perfect for adding a bit of zesty heat to casseroles, scrambled or deviled eggs, roasted potatoes, Pork Carnitas, and these Chicken Burrito Bowls.
What is a Chicken Burrito Bowl?
A burrito bowl is simply a bowl containing all of the components found in a burrito, except for the tortilla. It contains all the flavours that everyone loves, but fewer carbohydrates.
Burrito bowls are a quick and easy meal to make for your family on a busy night. However, they also make the PERFECT lunch at your work desk…don’t forget the fork!
What is in a Chicken Burrito Bowl?
After a long day at work or home, the last thing anyone wants to do is think about making dinner. What is great about these bowls is that they don’t require a lot of thought or preparation. Once you have all the components prepped, all you do is assemble and eat.
Chicken Burrito Bowls can be quickly prepared with basic ingredients such as rice, beans, corn, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and chicken. Add a touch of spice and a few ‘extras’ like avocado, lime, and cilantro. Winner winner, chicken burrito bowl dinner!
How to Make a Chicken Burrito Bowl
Let’s break down the making of this chicken burrito bowl into several easy steps.
- Make the Rice – Combine the rice with the salsa and pour in the chicken stock. Cook in a rice cooker or use your usual rice cooking method.
- Sauté the Veggies – Slice the peppers and onions then sauteé in a hot pan with a bit of olive oil. Don’t forget to season them with salt and pepper.
- Make the Salad – Combine the corn and beans. Chop up the fresh cilantro and mix it all in a bowl. Season with taco seasoning or a cilantro lime seasoning (such as Trader Joe’s).
- Cook the Chicken Tenders – Use the same pan as for the veggies. Add a touch of olive oil, pat the tenders dry then season with taco seasoning or cilantro lime seasoning. Sauté the chicken over medium heat for about 3 minutes per side. Let cool.
- Prep the Extras – Slice the grape tomatoes and any extras you feel like adding (see below for customization ideas).
- Arrange in a bowl/container – Now for the fun part! Place the rice in first, then arrange other ingredients on top of the rice. Always finish by slicing the avocado on last so it doesn’t oxidize. For meal planning, skip the avocado and bring a half or whole to work/school and add it there.
How Can I Customize Burrito Bowls?
The best thing about these Chicken Burrito Bowls is that they are fairly simple to make. In addition, you can use ingredients you have on hand or customize to your family’s flavour preferences. Here are several tasty ways to customize your burrito bowl:
- Use plain rice, brown rice, cilantro-lime rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice for a low carb diet.
- Include greens like shredded Romaine lettuce, rubbed kale, or coleslaw.
- Add a dairy component such as shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican Cotija cheese.
- Add sliced jalapeños.
- Replace the sliced grape tomatoes with pico de gallo.
- Use a scoop of guacamole instead of sliced avocados.
- Switch out the proteins. Use shrimp, left over steak, refried beans, ground beef, or marinated tofu.
- Sauce it up with hot sauce, Mexican crema, sour cream, or cilantro lime sauce.
Can You Eat Burrito Bowls Cold?
Chicken Burrito Bowls can be eaten hot or cold. This recipe makes enough for four generous portions and is very easy to double. That way you can have hot burrito bowls for dinner then pack them up to go for lunches. If you have access to a microwave, they heat up nicely (you might want to add the avocado separately if you are doing this).
However, chicken burrito bowls are still delicious cold. Don’t forget to bring a bottle of hot sauce and a fork!
Chicken Burrito Bowls are a fast and easy weeknight meal that is full of flavour. Additionally, by prepping several servings ahead of time you can save money while enjoying a healthy lunch at your desk instead of unhealthy takeout.