Got leftover BBQ Chicken? Treat your family and friends to these mouthwatering BBQ Chicken Nachos finished with a selection of all their favourite toppings. Don’t forget the cheese!
These nachos are the perfect game day snack or quick dinner idea featuring leftover Instant Pot Pulled Chicken. Serve with a side of Guacamole and your favourite Pineapple Margarita.
Pulled BBQ Chicken Nachos
These super tasty pulled BBQ Chicken Nachos are packed with bites of sweet n spicy chicken, sweet pickled and fresh jalapenos, green onions, and tomatoes all covered with a blanket of melted cheese.
With a prep time under 15 minutes and less than 10 minutes of cook time, you can get dinner on the table in record time. These cheeky nachos are another leftover chicken dinner winner!
Did you know that nachos were invented by a Mexican…for an American (in Mexico!). Though they are the ultimate Tex-Mex dish, they slightly resemble Chilaquiles, a popular Mexican breakfast dish.
Ingredients for BBQ Chicken Nachos
The beauty of making your own nachos right at home is that all you need is a baking sheet and oven. Additionally, you can modify the ingredients according to what you have on hand.
While this particular combination of chicken, cheese, diced tomatoes, green onions, fresh and candied jalapenos is delicious, you can replace any (or all) of the ingredients, including the chicken! Turn taco night into nacho night by using Saucy Crockpot Taco Meat instead of chicken.
Tasty Nacho Toppings
- Leftover pulled BBQ Chicken really makes the flavour of the nachos sing. I always make extra shredded chicken from this recipe, just so I can make these nachos. However, you could shred a store bought rotisserie chicken in a large bowl, pour some barbecue sauce over top and mix it all up. It’s all good!
- Nachos are also a great way to use up stale tortilla chips because they are reheated and will crisp right back up. I always buy low salt tortilla chips because that is what we prefer.
- Besides the chicken and tortilla chips, the other toppings are little more than suggestions. Use whatever you have on hand. I suggest finely diced red onions, black beans, marinated banana peppers, pineapple chunks, and black olives in addition to the topping in the recipe card.
- Finally, choose a cheese that melts well and has enough flavour to stand on its own but not overpower the nachos. For these nachos, I used shredded cheddar cheese however, Monterey Jack cheese is a common choice for nachos.
How to Layer Nachos
Let’s talk layering. This is the single most important skill you need to know before making your own nachos. If you have ever eaten your way through the top layer of nachos to find a layer of plain tortilla chips underneath, you will know what I’m talking about.
I know it may seem like a lot of work, but layering the nachos ensures that each and every bite has tasty bits of chicken and toppings.
To layer nachos, simply divide the toppings (and cheese) that need to go in the oven according to the amount of layers you want in the nachos. Always end with a small top layer of hot toppings and extra cheese.
Save the cold toppings (green onions, diced tomatoes, cilantro) to add when the nachos come out of the oven. Lastly, serve any sauces (salsa, pica de gallo, or guacamole on the side to prevent soggy nacho syndrome.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Nachos
Preheat your oven to 375 F. Next, spread a single layer of chips on a sheet pan or baking sheet. Scatter 1/3 chicken, jalapenos, and candied jalapenos over top the bottom later then top with 1 cup shredded cheese.
Top with another layer of tortilla chips, then another 1/3 chicken, jalapenos, and candied jalapenos plus another cup of cheese. Repeat, and top the final layer with 2 cups of shredded cheese.
Bake in a 375 F oven until the cheese is melted and chicken is sizzling, about 8-10 minutes. Top nachos with diced tomatoes and chopped green onions. Serve with fresh mango or pineapple salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
Tips for Making the Best BBQ Chicken Nachos
- For extra crispy tortilla chips, pre bake them in a 350 F oven for a few minutes. Let cool before layering.
- Layer tortilla chips and toppings so that every bit is delicious.
- Bake the nachos instead of Broiling them. Baking ensures that all the toppings are heated through, not just the ones on the top.
- Serve liquidy dips on the side, for dipping!
If you make these BBQ Chicken Nachos please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Be sure to follow me on Facebook and Pinterest for my latest recipes. Also, if you do make this recipe please tag me on Instagram, I’d love to see what you guys are making! Thank you so much for reading my blog.
Super Tasty BBQ Chicken Nachos
Got leftover BBQ Chicken? Treat your family and friends to these mouthwatering BBQ Chicken Nachos finished with a selection of all their favourite toppings. Don't forget the cheese!
- 3 cups pulled BBQ Chicken
- 12 oz tortilla chips
- 2 tomatoes; diced
- 4 green onions; chopped
- 1 jalapeno; finely diced
- 1/2 cup candied jalapenos
- 4 cups of cheese; grated
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spread one layer of tortilla chips on a baking pan or cookie sheet.
- Scatter 1/3 chicken, jalapenos, and candied jalapenos over top this bottom later then top with 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Top with another layer of tortilla chips, then another 1/3 chicken, jalapenos, and candied jalapenos plus another cup of cheese. Repeat, and top the final layer with 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Bake in a 375 F oven until the cheese is melted and chicken is sizzling, about 8-10 minutes.
- Top nachos with diced tomatoes and chopped green onions.
- Serve with mango or pineapple pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1132Total Fat: 63gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 184mgSodium: 1811mgCarbohydrates: 91gFiber: 7gSugar: 25gProtein: 53g
Nutritional calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator.
I love this idea – I regularly have leftover BBQ chicken!
Nachos it is then!! Enjoy Terri.
These nachos are perfect for a late evening snack for me, as I’m sitting in front of my favourite Netflix shows! I love adding chicken to Mexican food, and the BBQ flavor is perfectly on point t. Can’t wait to make them again
They make excellent movie/Netflix snacks!
Good Morning! I just wanted to let you know I found your bbq chicken nachos recipe via Pinterest and decided to make it! I had some of the stuff on hand and right away went to the market and got the rest of what I needed. Excellent instructions and tips! The recipe turned out perfect. Have a wonderful day!
That’s awesome Heidi. So glad you enjoyed the chicken. It really is so easy to make and so darn tasty.
I could easy these delicious BBQ chicken nachos for every meal! They are loaded with so much yumminess.
That’s the truth!
We love watching football on the weekends and I just added this to my list for our snacks. I love that the recipe uses chicken instead of beef too.
Same! I’m so glad football season is back, especially for the snacks!
Dear Bernice, these are the best homemade nachos I’ve ever made! Your pictures are amazing! Thanks for the recipe.
So glad you enjoyed the nachs Enriqueta!
Just made these chicken nachos yesterday and they were gone in 10 minutes! So much flavor, easy to make, and absolutely delicious!
So glad to hear Veronica! Ours disappeared pretty quickly too.
These look mouth watering! We love a good nacho recipe!
I can never resist nachos either!
Nachos are in regular rotation at my house especially when we have leftover chicken. I like your addition of candied jalapenos!
Thank you Colleen, the jalapenos are so tasty with the BBQ Chicken.
totally making this next nacho night! I love the added BBQ chicken and spicy heat to it! I love sneaking in some protein 🙂
Yes to extra protein on nacho night!
Ah the candied jalapeños add a whole new flavor combo to nachos, yum!
They sure do…kind of sweet n spicy!
Love your Nachos Bernice. They look mouth watering and delicious! Feel like eating them from the picture. Beautiful shots taken!
Thank you Fouzia!
A new favorite nacho recipe at my house! Thanks!
Give me alllll the different nachos variations! Using BBQ chicken is such a great idea! My family loved these!
They’re kind of a ‘catch all’ appetizer, much like fridge soup is a good fridge cleaner!
We don’t have nachos very often, but when we do we love these!
They’re such a treat! Glad you enjoy them Serena.