This classic 7 Layer Dip appetizer has all your favourite Tex-Mex flavours all stacked up and ready for game day dipping action.
Looking for the perfect dip recipe for your hungry crowd? Look no further, this delicious dip appetizer has SEVEN tasty layers of nacho goodness. It is the perfect accompaniment to serve beside those game day wings. From the classic refried bean dip (spiced up with a bit of taco seasoning mix) to the finishing toppings, each dip of a chip is like a party in your mouth. Just a word of warning…there’s no double dipping allowed!
The Best 7 Layer Dip
For many years, we spent Super bowl Sunday at my husband’s colleague’s house. Almost 18 years of my famous Black Bottom Cupcakes and pretty much every appetizer known to man. Believe it or not I can live without wings but the first time I tasted a layered dip, I knew there was no turning back. It was all prepared ‘convenience food’ from Costco but I knew that I was hooked on that dip for life.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and get this post sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you my weekly newsletter featuring the newest and best Dish 'n' the Kitchen recipes every week!
Fast forward a few years and a few Costco trips later and sadly, a good thing has to come to an end. Costco no longer sells the super addictive layered dip. At first I spent some time in mourning, but then I picked myself up and realized how easy it was to make my own damn layered dip.
How to Make 7 Layer Dip
This dip is so crazy easy to make and it feeds A LOT of people. You can make it the easy way, or you can make it the easier way. Spread a layer of bean dip (seasoned refried beans) into the base of a 9 x 9 glass serving dish. Top it with a layer of homemade guacamole or buy it pre-made. It’s your choice.
Next, arrange a layer of thawed baby shrimp over the guacamole. Really pack them in tight so each dip of the chip will contain shrimp. Top the shrimp with thick and chunky salsa. Again, you can make your own or buy it. No one will be judging…they’ll be too busy shoveling this dip into their pie holes. A nice fresh Pico de Gallo would also be great as a layer or as a final topping.
Stay with me here, there are just a few more layers to go. The most difficult layer will be the sour cream layer. The best way to spread it over the salsa is to pipe it in thick even layers, then spread it to cover the salsa. If any salsa pokes through, just add more sour cream to fix the ‘leak’.
Guess what? Everyone’s favourite layer is next…the CHEESE! For this recipe I used classic grated cheddar but there are so many other great options. To mix it up a bit, try Monterey Jack or go with a fresh Mexican cheese like Cotija.
Lastly, the toppings on this 7 Layer Dip are the easiest way to make this dip a real stunner. Chopped green onions, sliced black olives, diced Roma tomatoes or Pico de Gallo, diced red or green peppers, jalapenos, fresh cilantro, and dashes of chili-lime seasoning are all great finishing options.
Can I Make this 7 Layer Dip Ahead of Time?
This 7 Layer Dip is best made the same day of your party. I wouldn’t make it the night before but if you really need to, it could be assembled and refrigerated a day in advance. Enjoy it at the party but if there are leftovers, just throw them away.
How Long Will This 7 Layer Dip Last?
If you do make this dip the night before your party, it should be all eaten the next day. If you would like to keep the dip around longer, omit the shrimp layer and replace it with a layer of taco seasoned ground beef.
7 Layered Dip that is made the same day as your party can either be consumed that day or the next. I wouldn’t keep it beyond the next day, especially if it sits out at room temperature for a few hours. It’s always best to be cautious when it comes to dairy based dips and food safety.
REFRIED BEAN LAYER
- 1 can refried beans (or 1 can Mexi-style refried beans and omit next 5 ingredients)
- 2 tbsp onion; very fine dice
- 1 clove garlic; finely minced
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 2 ripe avocados; peeled and de-seeded.
- 2 tbsp onion; very finely diced
- 1 clove garlic; finely minced
- 4-10 dashes hot sauce
- 1 lime; juiced
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tomato; de-seeded and diced (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro; chopped (optional)
- 1 package frozen baby shrimp; thawed and dried with a paper towel.
- 2 cups thick n chunky salsa or pico de gallo
SOUR CREAM LAYER
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Any amount of your preferred topping such as sliced green onions, sliced black olives, diced red or green peppers, jalapenos, fresh cilantro, dashes of chili-lime seasoning, etc.
- To make the REFRIED BEAN LAYER: Place onions and garlic with 2 tbsp water in a microwave safe bowl and cook for one minute. Add the beans and taco seasoning mix , then mix together well. Spread an even layer in the base of a glass 9x9 baking dish.
- To make the GUACAMOLE LAYER: Place all ingredients except tomatoes (if using) in a small food processor or blender. Blend until your preferred consistency. Alternatively, if you like your guacamole chunky, just mash everything together with a fork. Mix in tomatoes. Spread in an even layer on top of the Refried Beans.
- Arrange the thawed and towel dried SHRIMP in a single layer over the guacamole.
- Spread the SALSA over the shrimp.
- For the SOUR CREAM LAYER: Mix all ingredients together then place in a medium sized ziploc bag (cut the corner off to open) or piping bag with a large open tip. Pipe the sour cream in wide lines across the salsa and then use a knife or spatula to carefully spread it.
- Arrange shredded CHEESE over the sour cream layer.
- Scatter desired GARNISHES over the cheese layer.
- Refrigerate until serving time. Serve with sturdy nacho chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 1097mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 18g
Nutritional calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator.