A sweetly styled and delicious sweet dessert pizza with a chestnut flour crust and topped with candied pear, roasted hazelnuts, and chocolate. This recipe will make two 23-cm (9-inch) thin-crust pizzas or two 20-cm (8-inch) thicker crust pizzas.
Image by Pierre Lamielle
How many times have you heard that ‘patience is a virtue’? Or the saying ‘all good things come to those who wait’? Are these sorts of clichéd phrases even applicable in this day and age of instant gratification? I know that when I do have to wait for something important I find that it is necessary to distract myself and keep myself busy or I will implode.
Waiting Waiting Waiting…
This is how I felt while waiting for the results of YYCPizzaWeek. Not only were some of my favourite restaurants taking part in the competition but I really wanted to see how much money could be raised for Calgary Meals on Wheels just by eating pizza September 26 – October 5th. And…of course I wanted to see how my Sweet 16 Pizza did in the Food Blogger’s Pizza Competition. So without any further adieu and because I just can’t make you wait any longer, here are the results:
YYCPizzaWeek raised over $8000 for Meals on Wheels and what’s more…YYCPizzaWeek has committed to making pizza week an annual event with all monies raised going exclusively to Calgary Meals on Wheels. How cool is that?
2014 YYC Pizza Week Winners
Thin Crust Category
1st Place….My friends at 500 Cucina with their oh-so-porky Triple Pig Pizza with runners- up Bocce (Valle Pizza) and Toscana Grill (Bolognese Pizza)
Thick Crust Category
1st Place…Gordo’s Pizza/Bacon Mac n Cheese Pizza with runners-up Lorenzo’s Pizzeria (Veal Scaloppini Pizza) and Christo’s Greek Restaurant (Meatballs of Fire Pizza)
Unique Pizza Category
1st Place … Bensonhurst Pizza Co./Pizza Carbonara with runners-up Gruman’s Catering and Delicatessen (Classic Reuben Pizza) and Pizza Master Fusion (Samoza Master Pizza)
And now last but certainly not least…The Food Bloggers!
3rd (and most creative) Donair Pizza by Food Mamma (Fareen)
2nd Twisted Orchard Pizza by Wheat Free Mom (Carrie)
1st MEEEE! my Sweet 16 pizza won!
As you can imagine I was beyond being amazed…if you voted I sincerely want to thank you for your vote. It was so much fun being a creative Dish ‘n’ the Kitchen.
Get Your (Pizza) Pie ON with Dish ‘n’ the Kitchen
If you make this Sweet 16 Dessert Pizza, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Be sure to follow me on Facebook and Pinterest for my latest recipes. Also, if you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram, I’d love to see what you guys are making! Thank you so much for reading my blog.
FOR THE DOUGH
- 1 cup (250 ml) warm water
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sugar
- 1 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chestnut flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup of chestnut purée
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ripe, yet still firm pear
- 1 cup hazelnuts; roasted and skinned
- 1 Square of Dark Chocolate
- In a bowl, combine the water, yeast and sugar. Let stand until the mixture foams on top, about 5 minutes.
- Using a stand mixer, attach the plastic blade or the dough hook. Combine the flour and salt in the mixer bowl.
- Gradually increase the mixer speed to medium and add the yeast mixture until a soft ball forms.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead for a few minutes on a floured surface to prevent sticking.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean cloth. Let the dough rise for about 30 minutes in warm and draft-free area. Cut the dough in half.
- Use the pizza dough immediately or refrigerate it (less than 48 hours), otherwise place it in an airtight bag and freeze.
- Bake at 400 F for 10-12 minutes. Then add toppings.
For the Toppings and Sauce
- Slice pears thinly with a mandoline or sharp knife. Dredge in sugar and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake at 250 F until caramelized and dehydrated, carefully flipping sides so they dehydrate evenly. I think mine took 40 minutes.
- For the 'sauce' mix 1/2 cup of chestnut purée with 1/2 cup dulce de leche. Add 1 tsp cinnamon and mix.
- Spread sauce over baked pizza crusts. Arrange pears over the top and scatter roasted hazelnuts. Then grate chocolate over the whole thing. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 624Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 64mgCarbohydrates: 91gFiber: 7gSugar: 28gProtein: 13g
Nutritional calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator.